[Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:09:13 UTC 2013

Okay.  So I looked at this a couple of times, and couldn't come up with a
good idea for "notable" people to want to deliberately record and upload
with an open license a recording of their own voice - knowing that it
*will* be abused and misused and mashed.  (There's little question that
this will happen. Just because Wikimedians are pretty decent sorts doesn't
mean the rest of the world is.)

Now, I have no objection whatsoever to supporting article subjects who
*wish* to do this, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to actively try
to persuade them.  I'm not convinced that recordings of a person's voice is
actually "information" about the person, either, except in the way that
their fingerprints are.

Risker/Anne