[Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:06:45 UTC 2013

Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and
then make their file an ogg, or record it to ogg in a super fast way.

it's a small, but time consuming thing to record yourself, upload it (or
whatever) to your computer, and then figure out how to make it into an open
license.

-Sarah

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Andy Mabbett, 08/02/2013 14:57:
>
>> I'd like to ask your support the project I started:
>>
>>     <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/**open-licensed-format-**
>> recordings-voices-wikipedia-**wikimedia-commons/<http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>
>> >

>> asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
>> of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.
>>
>> An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
>> and I have been [job or position] since [year]".
>>
>> So far, the participants:
>>
>>     <http://commons.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Category:Voice_intro_**project<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>
>> >

>> include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
>> we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.
>>
>> Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
>> that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
>> them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
>> of other languages?
>>

> I think we really need such a tool, for instance it's a shame that
> Wiktionary doesn't have pronounciation recordings on most of its entries.
> Of course it's better if the speaker is authoritative (like the subject in
> person for a biography or a professional for Wiktionary), but tools would
> help everyone.
>
> Nemo

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
*www.sarahstierch.com*