[Wikimedia-l] "Voice Intro Project"

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Feb 8 13:57:41 UTC 2013

I'd like to ask your support the project I started:

   <http://pigsonthewing.org.uk/open-licensed-format-recordings-voices-wikipedia-wikimedia-commons/>

asking the subjects of Wikipedia articles to record a 10-second sample
of their speaking voice, for use on those articles.

An example script is "Hello, my name is [name]. I was born in [place]
and I have been [job or position] since [year]".

So far, the participants:

   <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Voice_intro_project>

include Sue Black, Cory Doctorow, Bill Thompson and Dave Winer; and
we've just had our first recording in French - but we need many more.

Do you know anyone who has an article about them? Do you know of tools
that would simplify the process of making ogg files, open licensing
them, and uploading them to Commons? How can we include more speakers
of other languages?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing