[Wikimedia-l] Patent claim relating to QRpedia

David Richfield davidrichfield at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:57:19 UTC 2013

I don't see this as an actual patent troll: the people in question
actually use the technology that they patented for self-guided walking
tours: the tourist calls the number related to the specific site, and
hears information about it.  I think they were just a bit
overoptimistic about what was patentable, and/or how broad the
coverage given by their their patent was.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Jane Darnell <jane023 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "...without the necessity of going through unnecessary legal fees in using the
> patented concept without the consent of..." - Is that a copyvio?
> * See also
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll
>
> 2013/2/8, Fae <faewik+commons at gmail.com>:
>> On 8 February 2013 10:22, David Richfield <davidrichfield at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It would be greatly appreciated if you would consider the Walk and
>>> Talk Tours patented system in 1999 with regards to information signage
>>> relating back to electronic media to obtain information in respect of
>>> a site.
>>
>>> A brief review of the patent seems to indicate that it doesn't cover
>>> anything except for phone calls, but the wording is sufficiently broad
>>> that one could construe it to refer to any data sent over a wireless
>>> network.  Can someone on this list please give an opinion?
>>
>> I suggest you consider it as they requested, file it, and do not
>> reply. I see nothing in this patent that could be considered anything
>> infringed by QRPedia technology that is not long established as open
>> source or irrelevant.
>>
>> My past experience, having worked in mobile technology for some years
>> and been part of managing the international IP for new technology, is
>> that the mobile technology sector lawyers (or more often
>> proto-lawyers) will scour the internet hunting for anything that might
>> get them a decent commission. Speculative letters are cheap to send
>> and as QRPedia gets more press coverage, this sort of contact is
>> likely to become very frequent.
>>
>> This is not professional advice, I am not writing in my capacity in
>> any organization I am affiliated with or was affiliated with, blah,
>> blah, imagine a lengthy disclaimer here...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fae
>> --
>> faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm