[Wikimedia-l] Strange, surprising, bold and unnecessary - reply to the WMF board statement

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:13:09 UTC 2013

On 6 February 2013 13:52, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:
> Sell us, the editors, on why these things are necessary, and the
> process of getting approval from the WMF Board will be easy because
> the political winds will shift in your favour. What exactly are
> Chapters trying to do now that they are failing at that necessitates
> the creation of the WCA?

My pick list of things we know that some chapters are failing at, and
that having an Association will help with - off the top of my head:

* Shared processes and requirements for good governance
* Shared (Chapter) best practices (such as financial reporting,
activity reporting, records and reporting)
* Peer review
* Benchmark independent review and assessment
* Managing effective boards
* Effective and efficient programme management
* Holding senior management to account
* Credible public reporting on funding outcomes
* Transparency

Of course, I am personally happy to help chapters with this sort of
thing, but I'm only one man with a few scars from painful experience;
so having an Association helps folks like me to help others.

PS Tom, knowing you as long as I have, I would not dream of trying to
sell you anything. ;-)

Cheers,
Fae
--