[Wikimedia-l] Strange, surprising, bold and unnecessary - reply to the WMF board statement

Itzik Edri itzik at infra.co.il
Tue Feb 5 21:22:07 UTC 2013

I can write a long mail to response the board statement, but past shown me
– it will be waste of time. Mean less time for my work, my chapter, and my
personal life.  Cause when the WMF and the Board deciding on something,
this is last and final decision. They discussion is just for the record. So
what It worth? But I can't avoid shares my disappointment from the board
(sadly again) and ours elected community and chapters trustee…

Yes, we are not perfect. Along all the process I was personally
disappointment from the him and have a lot of criticism about ours works.
But from that to the last board statement – there is (very) long way.

Saying that, I know this is not easy to build something, when you work with
so many people  that all of them volunteers, only small part of them coming
from chapters with staff support (and this staff is also very limit), when
all of them have work place, chapters and board work, and now also
associations to take care. I was the one who push to hire consultation
company (like the foundation did many times with huge amount of money
invest on that) to lead the process. My proposal was reject, and the
council decided to save the money and lead it by them. Harder and slower
process, but cheaper. So it seem like the WCA is not running to spend
money.

Along the way, the WCA was a magic word. Sue even uses it to explain why
the WMF is narrowing focus, giving others role to support the chapters. We
need to remember that we saw increase of chapters and zero formal support
from the WMF or the movement to handle them. Small chapters who don't even
know with who to speak when they need something, who their point of contact
in this "huge" organization called the WMF.

It seem like the foundation (and the board of course) moving very fast to
professionalism, and the chapters are also looking to track it (and I hope
I'm not a naive that the foundation support it) but they can't keep pace
with the foundation. Thing that affect the chapters.

Let's face it - how much support to really establish the WCA the foundation
gave until now?

Even the statement came from nowhere. Without asking the WCA to response,
or to ask the chair or the council to give some brief to the board before
or during the meeting, or to collect response from us, before reaching to
such kind of statement. I even understood that some board member planned to
participate in the WCA meeting that been planned to be hold on the 17th in
London, why? For what?

What disappointment is the lack of constructive response. How the board
think he could help and change? How he may ask the foundation the chapters
to try find a way to change (and change is indeed need). Or if they going
to lead a process to find other solution to support the chapters (as they
say themselves is needed, according to approving Sue narrow focus
recommendations). Real leadership is to help, not just to reject.

Itzik

Wikimedia Israel