[Wikimedia-l] Dells are backdored

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 29 23:11:48 UTC 2013

On 29/12/13 23:55, James Salsman wrote:
> Can we please stop paying the Microsoft and NSA taxes and start buying
> datacenter equipment which costs a lot less? Cubieboard/Cubietrucks for
> instance?
>
> Ref.:
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/catalog-reveals-nsa-has-back-doors-for-numerous-devices-a-940994.html

That article doesn't say Dell equipment has a back door, it just says
that there is surveillance software or hardware designed to work with
Dell equipment. It doesn't even say that Dell equipment is especially
vulnerable.

"There is no information in the documents seen by SPIEGEL to suggest
that the companies whose products are mentioned in the catalog
provided any support to the NSA or even had any knowledge of the
intelligence solutions."

-- Tim Starling