[Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 20:51:45 UTC 2013

On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 December 2013 13:35, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> For your amusement:
>> http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html
>> We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?

> If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.
> Beyond having an extensive article on the subject.

No, that's the filter you have to explicitly opt out of.

In any case, discriminatory or defamatory filter labeling is something
it is in the public interest to inform on and quite possibly protest
against. (Turns out that using US-sourced filter software on default
settings may not be the wisest course of action for a UK-based
provider.)

- d.