[Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Dec 20 21:02:05 UTC 2013

Hallo.

The old version of the "puzzle globe" Wikipedia logo was retired in 2010.
It had wrongly painted letters in several languages as well as some
graphical imperfections. The current logo has correct letters and improved
vector graphics quality.

Despite the replacement having taken place almost four years ago, I still
see the old logo in news stories about Wikipedia in many languages every
few days. I find it very frustrating.

One likely reason for this is that Google images search shows mostly images
of the old logo when queried for "wikipedia logo".

Can we do anything about it? My SEO skills are about non-existent. A
Facebook friend suggested changing the title of the Commons file
File:Wikipedia-logo.png to File:Wikipedia-logo-v1.png and
File:Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg to File:Wikipedia_logo.svg. This sounds
reasonable, though it may have considerable technical implications.

Is there anything else we can do?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬