[Wikimedia-l] The British Library releases 1 million images

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 09:07:55 UTC 2013

I like the stray text around the images - it  shows that the picture
is from a book, rather than a separate unattached file like a photo or
engraving, and the captions are necessary in most cases. The
problematic images are the ones of letterheads and margin decorations,
which, though perhaps interesting for articles on publishing or
printing, are not really useful in the quantities available unless
Wikisource is able to ingest the books in such a way that they use
those too. As I understand it however, you cannot recycle a Commons
image in a djvu file (yet). I do think some of the more encyclopedic
books would be great to have in their entirety on Wikisource.