[Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] The British Library releases 1 million images

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 08:36:02 UTC 2013

Remember that while US caselaw is clear on this point, it is less clear-cut
elsewhere. We at WM tend to take a clear line that 2D reproductions are
ineligible, but it's not a guaranteed absolute truth, particularly in the
UK! We can predict how a court might rule... but they haven't yet, and
claiming copyright is a legally defensible position in many cases.

("Legally defensible" is not always "correct", of course...)

As a result, an explicit declaration is a positive thing and definitely
should not be discouraged.

A.