[Wikimedia-l] The British Library releases 1 million images

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Dec 15 19:36:42 UTC 2013

On 15 December 2013 17:39, Katie Chan <ktc at ktchan.info> wrote:

> The images release contained no image-level metadata == One million
> uncategorised images == Commons community raise up in arms

The images contain metadata, which could be used for categorisation,at
the book level.

The whole point of the wiki model is that we make incremental steps
towards completion.

An analogy could be drawn with Wikipedia's "stub" articles.

It's not good for us to lobby institutions to release media, and then
decline to accept it.

I would have liked the release to have been direct to Commons; at
least, I would have liked the opportunity to debate whether to accept
it. I hope that the next tome such an release is being considered, we
will be in a better position to facilitate the former.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing