[Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 20:28:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> The 2009 resolution on biographies of living people was about
> identifiable people, given they were the subject of a biography.  This
> new 'media about living people' resolution doesn't make any such
> distinction for media, which I guess will result in lots of confusion
> about whether the scope includes images of unidentifiable people.  It
> should, but ...
>
> This resolution appears to be asking for verifiability regarding
> images of living people.  We are going to need some clarity around
> what the board considers to be verifiability (how do we prove the
> photo was taken at a public event and it is real? etc), and whether
> that includes unidentifiable people.
>
> "Ensuring that all projects in all languages that describe or show
> living people have policies in place calling for special attention to
> the principles of neutrality and verifiability in those articles;.."

Hi John,

I think this is an interesting point, but I'm not entirely sure I
follow.... don't we always worry about verifiability for images? We
certainly try to ensure that images are real and correctly identified
and not in copyright, etc. If someone uploads a random photo of
someone and says it's a picture of a celebrity, I feel like we
[Commons editors] would check that out. Not so?

-- phoebe