[Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 20:22:38 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Your logic here is broken. There are certainly times to have widely
> advertised discussions, but doing so is not free: they often require
> creating and deploying banners (with an associated increased risk of
> banner blindness), related mailing list posts, time taken to draft and
> re-draft proposals, and, of course, the time taken by members of the
> community to discuss and re-discuss how best to move forward. Time is
> precious, especially volunteer time, so we should make every effort to
> ensure that when we ask people to donate theirs to a global discussion, we
> don't do so lightly.

Yes, I agree.

Our discussions are important, but they are not free in terms of our
collective time. Let's take this particular thread as an example --
it's some 30 messages. Say it takes 15 minutes to read all of them,
and 500 subscribers have done so. That's 125 person-hours reading this
single thread alone -- or 15 people for an entire 8 hour workday. 15
very experienced Wikimedians spending a day can get a lot done :)

I don't think this particularly resolution warranted community
consultation; if I did, I would have pushed for it. The issue of how
to go ahead with BLPs in general certainly does, though --  that's the
point I was trying to make.

> As for these theoretical objections, if _you_ or anyone else objects to
> this amendment, I'd certainly be interested to read why.

Seconded.

cheers,
Phoebe