[Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 12:45:05 UTC 2013

Well I don't see any problem with starting off by taking a survey
among OTRS users, or in trying to collect data to classify problems
that are reported. Once we know what the "popular problems" are, can
we better help stop the flow of unwanted trash-talking on BLP's.

I think the "underbelly" that we all agree is problematic, could be a
lot less problematic if we kept the BLP's in that underbelly to only
mention the names of other living people if they are also on
Wikipedia. Often the names and activities of non-notable living people
such as former spouses, children, parents, and other related people
slip in to those BLPs in an unnecessary way. Those people are not
always thrilled to see their names on Wikipedia...