[Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 09:43:38 UTC 2013

Thanks for that link, Phoebe!

I am concerned about the issue surrounding the comment "the real BLP
problems happen when heavyweight (in edit count terms) Wikipedia users
swing their weight around"

Maybe such Wikipedians have a problem with the BLP person in real
life, or is closely related to some person who has a problem with the
BLP person, and maybe it is just some stubborn Wikipedian sticking to
the WP guidelines and policies. In the words of Emerson, "A foolish
consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little
statesmen and philosophers."

Whatever the reason, the result is always the same: the BLP person
feels helpless and abandoned to the whims and fancies of the
Wikipedian in question. Most times they don't even know enough to see
that it is just one person behind their reverts, and see the problem
as "Wikipedia, a bad place to have a page on".

The problem has accelerated since this discussion in 2010, however,
because with all the cutbacks in journalism, Wikipedia has become the
go-to place for information about such BLP's, unfortunately for them.