[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 22:54:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Jake Orlowitz <jorlowitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> * Our peers like EFF, and Internet archive accept it

To be totally honest, I think this is moot.

Support for bitcoin among these two organizations has hardly been a ringing
endorsement. In the past, EFF has rejected it for very practical reasons I
think still apply.[1] As for Internet Archive, I was literally in the room
when their fundraising staff announced they started accepting bitcoin, and
they actually said they didn't really understand what it was, other than
people requested they accept it.

In general, I would personally like it if the WMF avoided accepting
bitcoin. Today, bitcoin isn't really a functioning currency of exchange --
it's actually used more as an investment tool to create wealth that
naturally appreciates in value, like playing the stock market or buying
gold. Avoiding lots of risky investments is something our very competent
financial managers already steer clear of, and I see no reason to start
taking on more risk now.

1. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin