[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Wed Dec 11 13:46:59 UTC 2013

James Alexander wrote:
>That said while I don't think the effort involved here is
>tiny/insubstantial the real reason I don't want to do it is because, at
>this point, it's seemed more and more like people wanted us to accept
>bitcoin more as a political statement then anything else. That is not our
>job, that is not our role, and I do not appreciate someone attempting to
>use us to make themselves look more mainstream and accepted.

It's funny, I just had a look at the wikimedia-l archive around January
2012... you know, that time when Wikipedia literally shut itself down as a
political statement. The following month, the Wikimedia Foundation
established a "Community Advocacy" department, not to be confused with
lobbying, of which you're now a member.

I can appreciate the many legitimate reasons to not accept Bitcoin and I'm
grateful for your candid thoughts on the matter, but the idea that you, of
all people, would try to claim that it might (gasp!) insert politics into
Wikipedia is simply disrespectful to history and reality.

MZMcBride