[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Dec 10 22:37:14 UTC 2013

Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:
>Can you let us know the reasons behind the decision of not accepting
>Bitcoin other than those mentioned on the FAQ page I linked?

Has there been any discussion about simply accepting Bitcoins but not
exchanging them? Off-hand, I can't see any potential harm if the Wikimedia
Foundation only accepts Bitcoin donations, though I imagine it could make
tax reporting trickier. (That is, is it settled whether such a transfer
would constitute income? Are Bitcoin donations considered tax deductible?)

This issue probably has enough outside attention to warrant a blog post on
the Wikimedia blog (<https://blog.wikimedia.org>).

MZMcBride