[Wikimedia-l] Fundraising banner obscuring site interface

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Dec 10 14:24:38 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 03:07 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> There's a whole site full of possible inspirations:

And yet:

"Our donor services team haven't seen any negative emails about this
banner.  Moreover adding the floating tab results in an increase in
donations of roughly 15%, one of the biggest improvements we have found
so far this year."  So clearly, while it annoys some people and inspires
tumblrs, the practice is clearly beneficial and not universally reviled.

Mind you, you are comparing apples (a small floaty reminder that /can/
overlap with part of the sidebar when scrolling) with oranges (a modal
dialog that hides contents).

-- Marc