[Wikimedia-l] Closure of Community Logo Consultation

Yana Welinder ywelinder at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 8 21:56:25 UTC 2013

Hi Dariusz,

Thanks for the note and for your appreciation. It was our pleasure to help
work this out and reach an informed decision with the community. It also
helped inform the larger consultation on the proposed trademark policy [1].
Trying to reconcile the law with a decentralized movement is not always
easy.  But it definitely makes our job interesting.  :)

Best,
Yana and Geoff

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Trademark_policy

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <darekj at alk.edu.pl>wrote:

> Dear Geoff and Yana,
>
> even though the consultation results indicate that collective membership
> mark may have a slightly stronger support than abandoning all trademark
> registration, the issue is clearly very divisive. Taking the way the issue
> developed and its history, and past communication problems on the way, I
> think that recognizing a lack of clear consensus as a good reason to keep
> the status quo is sensible. I would like to thank you and commend you for
> your hard work, but also for your flexibility - it must have been tough to
> put in many hours and work on a solution you believe is best for the
> community, and then withdraw.
>
> best,
>
> Dariusz Jemielniak "pundit"
>

> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Geoff Brigham <gbrigham at wikimedia.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The consultation<
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Logo/Request_for_consultation
> > >has
> > been closed on the question about the community logo registration.
> > Many thanks to everyone who provided their comments.   Based on the
> > consultation, we will be recommending to the Board that we withdraw
> > WMFtrademark registration and protection of the Community logo.
> >
> > Many thanks to all,
> >
> > Geoff and Yana
> >
> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Logo/Request_for_consultation

Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
serve as a lawyer for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not give
legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers,
or staff members in their personal capacity.