[Wikimedia-l] Mobile starting page design for Zero users

Tobias church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 6 23:03:42 UTC 2013

On 12/06/2013 11:44 PM, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> A typical startup page has a custom banner, e.g. "Free Wikipedia
> provided by [Company]", and a list of common languages in that
> country.

I realize this is merely a minor aspect and might trigger a tedious
debate, but "Free Wikipedia" is far from ideal. Wikipedia's tagline is
"the free encyclopedia", where "free" clearly points to libre, not
gratis carrier coverage. By using "free" in a similar context, but
entirely different meaning, we undermine this important distinction and
create more confusion.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_Free_Encyclopedia

-- Tobias