[Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org?

Jon Robson jdlrobson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 18:50:17 UTC 2013

I'd keep it redirecting to http://www.wikipedia.org/ which I worked
previously on to optimise for mobile.

The only difference I'd make to the existing homepage is to reverse
the media queries. Currently media queries are used to optimise the
page for mobile phones. Unfortunately however if you have an old phone
that doesn't support media queries you will get the old website.

What would actually be better is to make mobile the default and use
media queries for desktop computers to apply styles to turn the page
into a more desktop friendly view. All modern browsers on desktop
support media queries [1] and update more frequently then mobile
devices. The only browsers you'd have to worry about is IE6-8 but
there are conditional css tricks to get around this problem.

I think previously I worked with Timo (Krinkle) to get this up and running.

[1] http://caniuse.com/css-mediaqueries

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> srik.ramk at wikimedia.in> wrote:
>
>> I agree with James. I'd like to m.wikipedia land up at a portal with a
>> language list and selector.
>>

> +1

Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk