[Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library's Books and Bytes newsletter

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 20:52:30 UTC 2013

I just wanted to say thanks to Jake and everyone who has worked on the
Wikipedia Library project -- this is a really cool and exciting set of
initiatives. I've seen a lot of interest lately from libraries in various
Wikipedia projects, and this outreach is definitely a big part of that.

Also, a pitch/reminder: if anyone is interested in discussing library
projects and Wikimedia, we do have a separate mailing list here:
welcome to join.

best,
phoebe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Re=
> [...]
> Newsletter/November_2013
>

> Wikipedia Library Highlights
>
> New accounts survey
>
> TWL is in discussions with several database providers to start new
> pilot programs for research account donations. Two of the largest
> research database organizations in the world, EBSCO Publishing and
> ProQuest, are both interested in learning which of their database
> services Wikipedians would be most interested in receiving. TWL has
> put together a survey to help with this, as well as gather more
> general information about usage, editor satisfaction and the direction
> Wikipedians would like to see their library moving in. The brief
> Google Forms survey takes 5-10 minutes, and will be sent out this week
> to TWL subscribers.
>
> JSTOR expired, extended
>
> The JSTOR pilot program, which gave 100 free accounts to top article
> writers, expired this month. Thanks to Steven Walling, an extension
> until the end of January was secured. Talks with JSTOR are ongoing to
> keep this valuable resource available free of charge to editors. Sign
> up for JSTOR.
>
> New Metrics
>
> New data from the Credo Partnership showed a 500% increase in links to
> the site in total since the program began. With much larger numbers in
> general, and a shorter time frame, the HighBeam increase of 390% as of
> May 2013 is also of interest. Special thanks to Johnuniq for compiling
> this data. If you are data-inclined, TWL always needs help compiling
> statistics. These stats are useful not only to our current partners,
> but also to encouraging prospective new partners to make donations.
>
> Help Needed: TWL Account Coordinator
>
> TWL is seeking a manager for the coordinated dispersal of donated
> accounts. The role involves watchlisting the application pages,
> vetting candidates using a fairly simple set of requirements (1 year
> activity, 1000 edits on any Wikimedia projects, having email enabled
> and an expressed desire to use the account for article work), and then
> emailing the access codes to users. As it stands, this would be not
> more 1-2 hours of work a week (though it will when new accounts are
> announced). Great communication and responsiveness so that subscribers
> get prompt replies to their applications is a must. If you are
> interested, please get in touch with The Interior or Ocaasi. Apply to
> be the new Account Coordinator.
>
> Wikipedia Visiting Scholars
>
> Along with the announcement of a position at George Mason University,
> a second institution plans to host a Wikipedia Visiting Scholar
> placement - University of California at Riverside Library.More details
> on this partnership should be announced in December and over a dozen
> universities are interested in attending an information session about
> the program in January. Also in December, George Mason will be seeking
> applications for their position. For more information on the Visiting
Visiting

http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.o=
> rg
> Code4Lib: http://code4lib.org/
> Digital Public Library of America: http://dp.la
>

> The Wikipedia Library
>
> partners
> Credo
> HighBeam
> Questia
> JSTOR
> Cochrane
> OCLC
>
> resources
> Reference Desk
> Resource Exchange
> Resource Guides
> Book Sources
> Online archives
>
> wikiprojects
> Libraries
> OA
> Bibliographies
> Books
> Journals
> Citation
> Unreferenced
> Fact check
>
> outreach
> Wikipedia Loves Libraries
> GLAM
> WMF Grant
>
> Thanks for reading! To receive a monthly talk page update about new
> issues of Books and Bytes, please add your name to the subscriber's
> list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_Wikipedia_Library/Newslet=
> ter/Recipients
>
> To suggest items for the next issue, please contact the editor, The
> Interior at https://Wikipedia:The_Wikipedia_Library
/Newsletter/Suggestions.

> -Jake Orlowitz (Ocaasi)
> @JakeOrlowitz
> jorlowitz at gmail.com

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *