[Wikimedia-l] How lovely live communication works worldwide

Manuel Schneider manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch
Thu Dec 5 19:33:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

Am 05.12.2013 11:13, schrieb Jean-Frédéric:
> Except that it appears the required Flash version is not available under
> Linux, except if using the proprietary Chrome.

I only own Linux computers and BBB works perfectly here in Firefox
17.0.9 with Adobe Flash 11,2,202,310, just the standard packages of my
distribution.

On Ubuntu there is a bug but there is also a workaround:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobe-flashplugin/+bug/865672

> Back then in April I extensively tested BBB - the found issues were
> reported to the developers.
> <https://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=1479>
> <https://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=1243>

Great, that is making the application better, thanks!

Although I have to state again that issue 1479 might just be a
theoretical one, as BBB does indeed work with FlashPlayer 11.2.

> These issues will not be fixed, given the current work done with HTML5 +
> WebRTC.

HTML5 and WebRTC will actually be a superior solution to the whole
problem, I am looking forward to it.
Anyway I hope that the Flash interface will be continued as a fallback
as it might take another two years until everyone has a HTML5 browser
with WebRTC.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch