[Wikimedia-l] WMF's New Global South Strategy

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Fri Aug 30 07:51:12 UTC 2013

Thanks for sharing this, giving me an insight into an area where I
myself have little first-hand experience

For me the key finding are:
*We know now what approaches does NOT work. I am struck with how much of
these findings are also relevant for work being done from chapter.
Hopefully Frank S can summarize these learnings in his work
*Results from external resources only gives results when there exist an
active community. And how and what type of resources make sense and how
they should be provided is learned well by the new Grants organization.

But what about the key issue: What are the parameters that makes a
active community to be created and also be sustainable? We have a lot of
anecdotal stories and a lot of subjective opinions, but have there ever
been done a professional study taking an analytical approach, using many
different of our communities as input to find the critical parameters
that creates success or hampers/disintegrate active communities?

Anders