[Wikimedia-l] is wikipedia zero illegal because it violates net neutrality?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 07:05:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM, rupert THURNER
<rupert.thurner at gmail.com>wrote:

> Am 26.08.2013 18:14 schrieb "Andre Engels" <andreengels at gmail.com>:
>
> > Dutch telecommunication law, article 7.4a (the net neutrality article),
> > paragraph 3:
> >
> > "Aanbieders van internettoegangsdiensten stellen de hoogte van tarieven
> > voor internettoegangsdiensten niet afhankelijk van de diensten en
> > toepassingen die via deze diensten worden aangeboden of gebruikt."
> >
> > "Offerers of internet access services do not make the tariffs for
> internet
> > access services dependent on the services and applications that are
> offered
> > or used via these services."
> >
> > If an isp offers Wikipedia for free, and some other internet usage not,
> > then it has a different tariff dependent on the service that is offered.
>
> Andre, this means Wikipedia Zero is illegal in Dutch law, and WMF
> actively promotes illegal deals? The Swiss proposal btw looks the
> same, as well the intention of the German law seems similar.
>
> As i see it "illegal" does not mean necessarily "immoral" or "bad
> intention". And of course we (or at least i) are heavily biased
> because we think there is nothing better than Wikipedia, and there is
> nothing better if everybody on this world is able to get it for free.
>
> Rupert

Wikipedia, or at least portions of it, is illegal under many countries'
laws. Any article showing a swastika, even if it's a neutral article about
Nazi Germany or the like, is illegal under German law. Probably almost all
of Wikipedia is illegal under North Korean law.

It cannot reasonably be expected that WMF would follow the laws of every
country in the world. Wikimedia's infrastructure and staff are located in
the United States, so WMF must respect US law. No other really is relevant.

I live in the US. I don't follow the laws of Germany, or Iran, or China, in
my day to day life. Why should I? I'm not subject to them.

Todd Allen

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.