[Wikimedia-l] is wikipedia zero illegal because it violates net neutrality?

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 12:46:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Denny Vrandečić <
denny.vrandecic at wikimedia.de> wrote:

> 2013/8/27 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
>
> > Denny Vrandečić, 27/08/2013 11:39:
> >
> >  That's like saying
> >> "printing out an article of Wikipedia and giving it to a student is a
> >> violation of net neutrality because we didn't print out the rest of the
> >> Web
> >> and gave it to them too".
> >>

> > This analogy doesn't work very well because the "we" here is most likely
> > not an ISP and it's only ISP being subject to net neutrality.
> >
> > Nemo
> >

> Exactly. Neither is Wikipedia Zero an ISP, which is why the analogy does
> work. :)
>
> Denny

I'm rather amazed that I'm the one being called out by George Herbert for
making "excessively legalistic rather than factually or
morally based" remarks (which I find odd, and rather insulting at that. I
don't think I made a legalistic argument anywhere, and indeed, law tends to
be the last thing I consider in where we should stand on ethical issues). I
find this reasoning to be rule lawyering. We're not the ISP violating net
neutrality, no. It's the ISP's we actively work together with and strongly
encourage.

I now find myself in the somewhat uncomfortable position where I defend the
position where I say that this isn't a black and white issue, and net
neutrality does play a role, which makes it appear as if I think we are
doing horrible, horrible things to the world by providing Wikipedia Zero.
For clarity, that is not at all how I feel about the issue.