[Wikimedia-l] The failure of Google, looking for open source alternatives

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 11:37:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Cristian Consonni
<kikkocristian at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/8/25 Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com>:
>> 2013/8/25 Romaine Wiki <romaine_wiki at yahoo.com>:
>>> Unfortunately I couldn't find any layer for Wikipedia on http://openstreetmap.org

http://osm.org/ is an example renderer. OSM is the _database_. The
information is in it, and there are several renderers showing various
external content.

> This year at Wikimania in Hong Kong there has been a "Wikimaps" panel,
> where it was discussed the possibility to duplicate the OSM whole
> stack to serve OpenStreetMap in Wikipedia. The bottom line for me was

What should be noted, however, that we should:
1) avoid to duplicate anything which is done very well by OSMF (which
is maintaining, operating and expanding OSM database), and
2) plan anything a way which helps OSM to get more user contribution,
either through Notes or by direct editing (so we should make it easy
for users to reach OSM edit fesatures over there.

Btw see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Collaboration_with_Wikipedia