[Wikimedia-l] is wikipedia zero illegal because it violates net neutrality?

Kevin Gorman kgorman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 22:08:43 UTC 2013

It's fine (and necessary) to hold ourselves to our own ethical standards,
but if we start trying to avoid activity that might be perceived as illegal
in any country, we would run in to a lot of problems awfully fast.  Trying
to avoid activity that might be perceived as illegal somewhere in the world
would result in Wikipedia being quite thoroughly censored and rather
useless.  I like Wikipedia Zero and don't see a problem with it, but if we
do want to have a debate about whether or not it's a morally acceptable
project, it should at least be framed as 'does this project violate the
Wikimedia movement's principles?' and not 'does this project violate the
law in any country in the world?'

----
Kevin Gorman