[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (itwas: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 14:45:08 UTC 2013

Everton Zanella Alvarenga, 25/08/2013 15:42:
> 2013/8/24 Romaine Wiki <romaine_wiki at yahoo.com>
>>
>> It is possible to have one location where everything is organized and arranged, but WMF is an international organisation to support the world wide Wikimedia movement. I think it would be good to have WMF deeper inside the world wide community, both digital and physical. I think it is healthy not to focus on one location, but to have an office more inside the Wikimedia movement, at least one on each (largely populated) continent.
>>
>> For local communities WMF is far far far away, while localizing WMF would bring WMF and communities more together.
>
> Romaine, I think a lot of people would agree with you, but I insist
> you to analyse the trial to create offices in India, Brazil and Middle
> East. This plan has changed and here is the very short explanation:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sue_Gardner/Narrowing_focus#We_plan_to_convert_the_catalyst_projects_into_grants.
>
> I think a big mistake here was to try to make 3 offices, instead of
> focusing in one and make it really well.[...]

This is important to keep in mind, but I don't think it's related to
what Romaine is talking about. Those were not just "offices", they were
offices for a project. Distributing existing projects (like engineering)
in different locations is an entirely different matter than establishing
new activities in new locations, not that I have opinions on either.

Nemo