[Wikimedia-l] The community triaging feature requests (was Re: About the concentration of resources in SF

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 23 22:36:22 UTC 2013

(sorry, going through this thread that happened while I was on holidays)

On 07/28/2013 07:35 PM, phoebe ayers wrote:
> On this topic, one thing that was brought up in the Board elections
> questions & answers was the (ongoing) need to triage feature requests by
> the community, including especially requests for features from experienced
> & admin users, and feature requests from the sister projects.

Yes!

> One of the ideas in the candidate answers was to focus more on building a
> central place where feature requests (and cool existing tools) can be
> shared between language editions and projects, and where feature ideas
> could get refined outside of bugzilla & the lists;

http://bugzilla.mediawiki.org IS a central place to discuss feature
requests. For higher level discussions there is http://mediawiki.org

Any reason for the projects not to embrace these existing channels?

> another idea was to
> build a kind of technical committee to help collect and refine these ideas.

<prejudice>Technical committees have a tendency to become less technical
or less committee than you wish.</prejudice> Any reasons for technical
people in the projects not to jump in the Wikitech/MediaWiki common
pool? I'd say that the ones that do don't regret it.

See also http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/Ambassadors &
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Product_development &

> Then of course there is the actual technical work of addressing these
> requests.
>
> I don't know if working on this would fit in with what any of the chapters
> are doing, but it does seem like a social/technical/community area that
> could use some energy.

Agreed. There are more than 5.000 open feature requests welcoming that
kind of energy:

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/report.cgi?x_axis_field=priority&y_axis_field=product&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&resolution=---&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr&longdesc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_id=&bug_id_type=anyexact&votes=&votes_type=greaterthaneq&bug_severity=enhancement&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&emailtype3=substring&email3=&chfieldvalue=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&j_top=AND&f1=noop&o1=noop&v1=&format=table&action=wrap

(Or http://bit.ly/19CKsqf if the link is broken)

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation