[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (itwas: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 23 21:55:11 UTC 2013

>>> Hi Erik (and whomever from WMDE),
>>
>> For the benefit of chapters that are interested in this space, can
>> you offer any examples of projects that are of an appropriate size
>> and type for a chapter to take on? I think that most chapters*
>> would be willing to help out in the software development space if
>> we got a bit of direction on how we could be the most useful.
>>
>> Cheers, Craig Franklin

Not exactly what you are asking for, but

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects

are thought to be projects that an intern could develop in about three
months. We use this list for Google Summer of Code and Outreach Program
for Women. It *might* be also a source of inspiration for Individual
Engagement Grants.

I don't see why the chapters couldn't consider this list as a source of
inspiration for software projects they could sponsor. They don't even
need to have the technical capacity in house: we can help finding the
right mentors for each project and we can also help selecting the right
developer(s) - like we do for GSoC / OPW.

Chapters "graduated" at this level could consider embarking in bigger
software projects. Pulling out a Wikidata team (or even a Kiwix project)
isn't trivial at all and I'm personally impressed by these success tech
stories lead by chapters. We should have more! (or at least try) There
is no lack of work to do.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation