[Wikimedia-l] Block evasion might be a federal offense

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 08:09:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Martijn Hoekstra
<martijnhoekstra at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2013 8:56 AM, "Peter Gervai" <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The account and/or underlying IP is
> blocked. That is the technical impediment. The action that is now a federal
> offense, it seems, is to defy the warning, by circumventing the block by
> changing IP and/or account to do what you were told not to do on the
> warning.

Technicalities aside if I follow you right then it is a federal
offense to edit Wikipedia when you were told not to (eg. banned but
_not_ blocked). If that's the case the IP part of the discussion is
mainly irrelevant as one does not have to evade a block to violate the
ban.

> The central issue though, that it
> seems block evasion is a federal offense, is not affected by the difficulty
> in proving evidence for it. It is the question whether the evasion is a
> crime that bothers me.

[insert meetoo here]