[Wikimedia-l] WMUA chapter mailing list switched to 'read-only' mode

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 15:47:40 UTC 2013

Dear Manuel,

Thanks for your swift comment & advice, I appreciate (while I'm one of the
administrators at WikiUK-l, by the way :) ).

Forgive me for missing the detail which was obvious for me - I'm WMUA
member (from the moment of it legal registration back in 2009) so I'm from
inside WMUA as a project as well as 40+ more WMUA members (beside Board and
AC). In your wording - I'm well inside of "chapter business", the issue is
with the missing (or invalid?) process "the chapter may decide how to use
that list".

That was clear for me (and explained by me in local discussions - in said
mailing list and on community Portal) that if Board needs something only
for announcements ("WikimediaUA-Announce-l or similar"), they should
contact "folks at WMF" and arrange new, additional list (like WMF Board did
some years after creation of 'universal' list).

In addition to that nobody never settled in proper way, that [WikimediaUA]
is "the project list" (if WMUA is not the project by itself) and, moreover,
it should be  "controlled by the board" to that extent as WMUA Board it
defined and settled for themselves.

So I remain with my question about
is there any precedents known, when chapter Board do some alike rulings?
Does it seems appropriate?

All more advices how to create alternative mailing list with help of:
* "folks at WMF"
* automatic services/stuff  at Google (like Google groups etc.)
will be appreciated, but it's not the main focus of my interest.

Sincerely,

Pavlo