[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikimania-l] git.wikimedia.org dead due to wikimania ; )

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Tue Aug 13 22:00:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Oliver Keyes wrote:

> I'd like to think Engineering do a pretty good job at uptime for core
> services - when was the last time you saw Wikipedia down for any extended
> period of time? - regardless of what day of the week it is.

Wikipedia uptime is certianly much better these days than it was around
2005/6 when there were at least two websites dedicated to reporting its
status. Back then it wasn't uncommon to experience major slowdowns,
periods of non-responsiveness, extended read only periods and edits
failing (sometimes silently) due to (iirc) overloaded servers. I can't
remember the last time I saw anything like that, but it certainly wasn't
2013.

The folks responsible for this certainly deserve kudos for their efforts.

----
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna