[Wikimedia-l] Proposal - Training for Wikimedia movement boards

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:08:03 UTC 2013

I agree! Great idea and thanks for sharing it.

I'm going to take a look at the meta page, and see if there is an
opportunity for some WMF support - I know Program and Evaluation could be a
great support for this potentially, and organizational structures from the
Learning and Evaluation side. (I'd look at it from my volunteer side, but,
I don't have a chapter role to call my own,....) The timing is good and the
opportunity to help build capacity and professionalization is great!

Thanks Chris and all involved, (and Sophie....let's see how there is
potential for cross-WMF-team-awesomeness!!)

Sarah

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Sophie Österberg
<sosterberg at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thank you for sharing this. I find this to be of great importance and a
> crucial step for our movement. I would be very happy to lead a session on
> programmes, and specifically Education Programmes, with its aims, current
> status and future.
>
> *Be Bold!
> Sophie Österberg
> sosterberg at wikimedia.org*
>

> *Every single contribution to Wikipedia is a
> gift of free knowledge to humanity. *
>

> 2013/8/13 Chris Keating <chriskeatingwiki at gmail.com>
>
> > At Wikimania there was (not for the first time) discussion that not much
> > support and advice there is available to Chapter board members. On Sunday
> > afternoon a small group of us (myself, Markus Glaser, Michał Buczyński,
> > Claudia Garad) met to work out how we could actually provide some
> training
> > to help improve this situation.
> >
> > I am pleased to say we have a definite proposal for a 2-day workshop to
> be
> > organised in the early part of 2014:
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Boards_training_workshop_proposal
> >
> > This is open to all Chapter (or indeed Thematic Organisation) boards, but
> > is particularly focused on board members in those organisations that
> have,
> > or will soon have, staff. And while this is being organised by "chapter
> > people", we hope to engage with Foundation, FDC and Affcom wherever this
> > will be relevant.
> >
> > If you are on a Wikimedia movement Board and are interested in attending,
> > please sign up on the Meta page!
> > Also, if you are reading the page and feel you could lead a session,
> please
> > also sign up on Meta!
> >
> > If there is enough interest, we will define the programme more closely
> and
> > work out exactly where and when.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Chris

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com*