[Wikimedia-l] An idea that may improve Wikipedia's fundraising

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 07:32:15 UTC 2013

Actually, an offline version of WIkipedia, though useful in remote
locations and for secure-internet areas like schools (or prisons), is
probably not as desirable as copies of specific content, such as a
Wikipedia dump of the Paleontology portal or something like that. For
people who wish to create informative apps (such as museum curators)
using Wikipedia content, it might be interesting to be able to order a
chunk of static data, such as everything we have on Monet (in all
languages:
https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Improve-an-artist

If a template exists for specific dump-creation, it might be useful to
have this be a paid service, where the product is not necessarily one
dump on a dvd, but a hyperlink to a specific dump that can be updated
periodically (once a year maybe?).