[Wikimedia-l] An idea that may improve Wikipedia's fundraising

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 17:44:59 UTC 2013

We did it in the past, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/DVD

Kevin Wayne Williams, 06/08/2013 18:52:
> Op 2013/08/06 9:40, Ziyuan Yao schreef:
>> The key point in my original idea is that you make buyers believe that
>> they're not just giving money away, but also getting some "solid
>> value" in
>> return. A Wikipedia DVD is a kind of "solid value".
> More like a complete set of Wikipedia Blu-Rays. I forget the actual byte
> count of Wikipedia these days, but it's well over anything you would
> want to try to store on DVDs.

Not really, a DVD-DL is usually (i.e. for all languages but en) enough
thanks to openZIM's compression techniques; few years ago we didn't even
need that, a normal DVD was enough.
As someone who spent countless hours working on the 2nd edition of the
DVD in Italy around 2009 (which was never born), I'd of course like to
see this done again, but there are a few problems from an economical POV.
1) "You are mad!" Publishing a DVD and hosting an open website are two
entirely different matters. WMIT could earn a 10 years lawsuit for every
single wrong sentence on Wikipedia; this must be handled by professional
publishers.
2) "Not worth it". DVDs are extremely cheap nowadays (printing a few
thousands, a packaged DVD-DL could cost around 0.10 € last time I
checked), but for the same reason they don't sell a high prices and they
don't make an interesting enough income to enter into negotiations with
publishers and distributors. The areas with poor internet that would
benefit from it tend also to have worse distribution.
3) Of course, trademarks. You probably want to stick the Wikipedia logo,
and possibly other Wikimedia projects logos (there's space enough in a
disc for all of them), on your DVD. It was hard enough to negotiate
everything with the WMF a few years back even for an established
chapter; it gets more restrictive month by month, so it would surely be
a nightmare nowadays. It's probably not worth the few cents more (see
previous point), I'd probably end up not using the Wikipedia logo at all
but only my chapter's.

Nemo