[Wikimedia-l] [Wiki-research-l] Research:Anatomy of English Wikipedia Did You Know traffic

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 11:31:11 UTC 2013

Hi Laura and Kerry,

One point to remember when comparing views of DYKs with other processes
such as GAs is that DYKs get a slot on the mainpage. In that sense they are
best compared to in the news items and the Featured Article of the Day.
Though I'm pretty sure they don't individually get as many hits as the
latter.

Longer term the things that one would expect would increase readership
would be incoming links, redirects, categories and article completeness. If
you add a section to an article covering a new aspect such as this
particular hill fort being one of the few homes of a particular orchid or
having had a WWII anti aircraft emplacement there in the forties then you
can expect to come up in relevant searches and thereby get additional hits.

Some of this is straightforward, if something has some alternative names
then making sure we have redirects for them will enable more people to find
the article.

Some is more complex. I'm not sure how far down an article the search
engines will go, but I assume that the search engines give most weight to
the first paragraph and therefore the lede and the redirects need to
contain the words that people are most likely to be searching for when they
want to find this article.

Jonathan