[Wikimedia-l] a compromise proposal for visual editor dogfooding

Kevin Wayne Williams kwwilliams at kwwilliams.com
Sat Aug 3 16:51:23 UTC 2013

Op 2013/08/03 6:58, Andrew Gray schreef:

I think there's a problem with any kind of A/B testing on the main
site interface for more than small changes - it's that we only have
one set of documentation. Wikipedia's help pages (certainly on enwiki)
aren't amazing, but they are used, and people will fall back to them
if they have problems using the site.

That's one of the biggest chicken-and-egg problems in this whole
deployment: those help pages are exclusively maintained by editors.
Until there's a substantial body of volunteers that believe that
updating the help pages to match VE is a worthwhile endeavour, the pages
will remain at the current version, which means that all new editors can
only get help if they don't use VE. That makes it hard to ever find a
group of people that thinks updating the documentation is worth the effort.

KWW