[Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Sat Aug 3 09:13:03 UTC 2013

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Katie Chan wrote:

> On 03/08/2013 09:41, Chris McKenna wrote:
>> and should
>> be sent at 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 10 days, 5
>> days, 2 days and 1 day in advance of the renaming, and that is at a
>> minimum.
>>

> Why not ten years, or maybe twenty years just to be on the same side?

A year is a reasonable amount of notice to expect - it's a long time in
the digital world (it is extremely rare that people are temporarily banned
from en.wp for longer than this for example). Much beyond that is
pointless as people wont think it's ever going to happen and will ignore
it. This will happen with some people for 1 year, but less so.

Remember that we want to get people on our side, so we need to work with
their psychology.

----
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org