[Wikimedia-l] Disinformation regarding perfect forward secrecy for HTTPS

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 02:48:41 UTC 2013

Ryan Lane wrote:
> Assuming traffic analysis can be used to determine your browsing
> habits as they are occurring (which is likely not terribly hard for Wikipedia)

The Google Maps example you linked to works by building a huge
database of the exact byte sizes of satellite image tiles. Are you
suggesting that we could fingerprint articles by their sizes and/or
the sizes of the images they load?

But if so, in your tweet you said padding wouldn't help. But padding
would completely obliterate that size information, wouldn't it?