[Wikimedia-l] Let's have the courage to sit down and talk about VisualEditor

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 08:50:07 UTC 2013

If we are going to discuss Minimal Viable Product, then we might want
to take note of the line in the Wikipedia article that says:

"The product is typically deployed to a subset of possible customers,
such as early adopters that are thought to be more forgiving, more
likely to give feedback, and able to grasp a product vision from an
early prototype or marketing information."

More than any specific deficiency in VE, I think the aggressive roll
out did the most to cause user dissatisfaction.  If you want to claim
that VE is a minimal product, then it stands to reason that it
wouldn't be ready for all users.  There are plenty of ways to stage a
deployment and gather feedback that are intermediate between the early
opt-in and turning it on for all users everywhere.  The WMF took
nearly the most aggressive deployment path possible while the quality
of the software really didn't warrant that.

-Robert Rohde