[Wikimedia-l] Why not everyone have the right to vote in the Board & FDC elections?

Thehelpfulone thehelpfulonewiki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 13:30:59 UTC 2013

On 30 April 2013 11:54, Michael Peel <michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> I'd like to +1 on this, as that only seems fair to me - either we have an
> inclusive solution for all Wikimedia organisation staff, or we don't
> involve staff in the elections at all (unless they are also active
> community members). Moving this discussion on-wiki would definitely be
> good, to reduce the chances of this discussion being forgotten about next
> time around...
>

> BTW, It might also be worth thinking about spreading the community elected
> seats over multiple years - at the moment, all three are appointed at once,
> which means that there's not necessarily any sort of continuity in the
> community's perspective on the board. Having two elected one year, and one
> the next year, might be a better solution to maintain continuity here.

An alternative proposal, as suggested by Risker and James above is that
even if you don't necessarily edit substantially, you can still be part of
the movement, so lowering edit requirements to allow *all *staff and board
members of the WMF, Chapters and other thematic organisations (and everyone
else that's part of the movement) to elect all 5 of the "community" seats
(3 community + 2 chapters) would bring everyone in the movement closer
together.

This would arguably be the most fair option, can someone summarise the
justification for chapters to be able to exclusively select 2 of out 5
community seats through a much less-transparent process?

--
Thehelpfulone
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone