[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania

Katie Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Tue Apr 30 11:23:20 UTC 2013

On 30/04/2013 11:49, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> My personal experience after being an active program committee member
> on the 2010 Wikimania Organizing Committee was that my activity there
> (and I believe in the end of the day we did a good job - for example,
> we managed to accept all submissions with a very few exceptions) was
> only appreciated by my fellow organizers. I have not heard any good
> words from anybody else, a lot of bad words were coming from all kind
> of corners, and nobody in 2011, 2012, 2013, or, for that matter, in
> 2014 ever contacted me asking whether I would have any interest to do
> this job again. In 2011, someone duly revoked my Wikimania wiki
> administrator flag saying smth like "not needed anymore", and nobody
> cared to thank me or even to inform me of that. I obviously decided
> afterwards that there are other, less painful ways I can be do my
> community service, and lost all interest in Wikimania organization.

I would just like to point out that there's no Program Committee for
2014 as the jury decision on host haven't even been made yet, and for
2013 there were an open invitation for people to volunteer to serve on
the Programmes Commitee and Scholarship Committee -
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2012-October/004375.html>.
Yes, as a movement in general we need to get better at showing
apperication for others hard work, but let's not generalise.

Regards,

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the author is associated with or employed by.

      - Heinrich Heine