[Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Apr 30 10:49:39 UTC 2013

On 30.04.2013 01:12, Florence Devouard wrote:
> Le 4/30/13 12:04 AM, Nathan a écrit :

> In the past years, we have seen several times organizers of Wikimania
> plain disappear after the event. Burn-out. I do not think it is a good
> outcome. For no-one.
> And I do not think it is a good idea to slap a chapter organizing
> Wikimania this year with words such as "infant, minimal development,
> fuzzy strategic goals" whose funding would be "at an absolute minimum,
> mis-management and waste of donor resources".
>
> Organizing Wikimania is an effort which deserve a little bit more
> respect than this. Either we trust the chapter to host Wikimania or we
> do not. I do.
>
> And I think that even though you are free to think funding this
> chapter would be a bad move, it would be a good move from a human
> perspective to present apologies for using such a strong statement.
>
> Florence

My personal experience after being an active program committee member
on the 2010 Wikimania Organizing Committee was that my activity there
(and I believe in the end of the day we did a good job - for example, we
managed to accept all submissions with a very few exceptions) was only
appreciated by my fellow organizers. I have not heard any good words
from anybody else, a lot of bad words were coming from all kind of
corners, and nobody in 2011, 2012, 2013, or, for that matter, in 2014
ever contacted me asking whether I would have any interest to do this
job again. In 2011, someone duly revoked my Wikimania wiki administrator
flag saying smth like "not needed anymore", and nobody cared to thank me
or even to inform me of that. I obviously decided afterwards that there
are other, less painful ways I can be do my community service, and lost
all interest in Wikimania organization.

Cheers
Yaroslav