[Wikimedia-l] Why not everyone have the right to vote in the Board & FDC elections?

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 22:22:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd actually suggest the opposite:  That the only people eligible to vote
> for the three elected seats be active participants within the Wikimedia
> projects.  That would drop the staff/contractor and advisory board
> eligibility.  Alternately, let's make everyone eligible, including chapter
> staff....but eliminate the chapter-appointed seats and have an election
> every year that involves the entire community.
>
> Risker

Also speaking personally I'd completely agree. I think the chapter
community, while different, certainly deserves a role in the elections but
have never been fully comfortable with the separation of "chapter seats"
(or, I imagine if they were kept 'organization seats for movement groups
would probably be included too) and 'community seats'. Rather then push the
different community groups apart let us push them together and have them
all vote on all 5 of the community seats. Our community is spread out in to
many different areas but I'd say they are all part of the wider community
and I do not think any one deserves special recognition or status over the
others. These are 'your' board members compared to 'our' board members,
they should all be there to work for the foundation (as they are required
by law to do) and the movement as a whole.

James