[Wikimedia-l] The case for supporting open source machine translation

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 18:27:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.  Finding a way to capture and integrate the work OmegaWiki has
> done into a new Wikidata-powered Wiktionary would be a useful start.
> And we've already sort of claimed the space (though we are neglecting
> it) -- it's discouraging to anyone else who might otherwise try to
> build a brilliant free structured dictionary that we are *so close* to
> getting it right.

OmegaWiki is a masterpiece from the perspective of one [computational]
linguist. Erik made the structure so well, that it's the best starting
point to create a contemporary multilingual dictionary. I didn't see
anything better in concept. (And, yes, when I was thinking about
creating such software by my own, I was always at the dead end of
"but, OmegaWiki is already that".)

At the other side, OmegaWiki software is from the previous decade and
it requires major fixes. And, obviously, WMF should do that.