[Wikimedia-l] The case for supporting open source machine translation

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Fri Apr 26 17:24:06 UTC 2013

* Erik Moeller wrote:
>Are there open source MT efforts that are close enough to merit
>scrutiny? In order to be able to provide high quality result, you
>would need not only a motivated, well-intentioned group of people, but
>some of the smartest people in the field working on it.  I doubt we
>could more than kickstart an effort, but perhaps financial backing at
>significant scale could at least help a non-profit, open source effort
>to develop enough critical mass to go somewhere.

Wiktionary. If you want to help free software efforts in the area of
machine translation, then what they seem to need most is high quality
data about words, word forms, and so on, in a readily machine-usable
form, and freely licensed. Wiktionary does collect and mark-up this
data, but there is no easy way to get it out of Wiktionary. Fix that,
and people will build machine translation and other tools with it.